Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Wisdom in Gratitude: Believing What We Have is Enough 1 Kings 3: 5-14

 

1 Kings 3: 5-14

At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask what I should give you.”  And Solomon said, “You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant my father David, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you; and you have kept for him this great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit on his throne today.  And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.  And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted.  Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?”

 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. God said to him, “Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, I now do according to your word. Indeed, I give you a wise and discerning mind; no one like you has been before you and no one like you shall arise after you.  I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor all your life; no other king shall compare with you.  If you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your life.”

I’ve recently taken interest in Brene Brown’s book called Daring Greatly. She, a sociologist by trade, uncovers much of what motivates us and our behaviors. She specifically describes one component of the fear-based actions so many in our world are currently living; it’s called “the myth of scarcity.” It’s the idea that there’s just not enough for everyone, so you better take what you can, even if it means A. Grabbing more than you need. B. Grabbing from someone who needs it more. (think, I don’t know- empty toilet paper shelves in March & April). The myth of scarcity means we’re always fearful there isn’t enough for all; so we learn mistrust of neighbor, preoccupation with self, and worst of all, greed. You’ve seen it the world over. You know it inside yourself. None of us are immune to its potential hold on our lives. Greed is a powerful force for tearing apart people, nations, families, and even beautiful communities like Pierre, SD. Unless, that is, we counter that fear of scarcity with another- more powerful story. It’s the story that begins in the garden of Eden, the story we hear in 1 Kings that continues throughout the Gospels, taking root finally in the early church & even us today. It’s the story of a God who supplies us our every need.

Interesting to note in Brene Brown’s work, that the opposite of scarcity is not overabundance (they are two sides of the same coin). No, the anecdote to the myth of scarcity, is the truth of enough. We have enough, not only for ourselves, but for everyone. Enough food exists in this world to feed everyone, when distributed properly. Enough love exists in this world, when we dare to believe that it grows when shared. Enough courage lives within our hearts when we choose to live into it. Enough is the anecdote to scarcity. And the path to believing that we have “enough” is gratitude.

I just love King Solomon’s story here, in which the wisdom of gratitude is on full display. He acknowledges that the power he’s been given- the ability to control the outcome of his people’s lives- was not his own doing. He inherited his privilege, and he knows it. So instead of allowing a culture of greed to dupe him into thinking he needs even more, he asks for a way to use what he already has, well. “Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil.” It’s not often a person with power asks for wisdom to discern the common good- rather than how to benefit himself. That’s a powerful spiritual practice for each of us, no matter how much or seemingly little we do have, because it changes how we see ourselves in this world. Glass half-full or glass half-empty? If our glass is half-full, we have enough to share with others; if it’s half-empty, we’re well on our way to living in fear.

I have a confession to make. I have been on Amazon.com a lot lately. You know, presumably making my life better? Maybe it’s not Amazon for you, whatever store you shop at. You know those product, right? It’s the water shoes that are going to change my life. The sun umbrella that will keep my melanoma skin cancer at bay. The camp rocking chairs that I know are just gonna make our trip this coming week- perfect.

And this interesting thing happens when I’m on Amazon.com. I start to realize all the things I don’t yet have- and I begin to need more! Well if I get these running shoes, I should probably get the running socks too, right?!? It only makes sense! Before I realize it, my cart is full, but my heart is still left wanting. You know what I think that’s called? Greed.

So if we’re going to take a page out of Solomon’s playbook here, I could probably (instead of asking for more stuff), ask for more discernment. Do I actually need these items, or were the marketing algorithms just too effective in my moment of weakness? There’s a lot of money to be made in this world by convincing shoppers like me that we just don’t have enough. Here’s the good news, though. That’s not the story we need to live with. We can decide that what we have is already enough. This is where discernment plays a role, like in the case of Solomon.  

I happened to recently read about a technique some wise shoppers use- they don’t let themselves buy things without first doing the 30-day test. They “save for later” items of interest, and after 30 days, if they still truly want and need that product, okay! Time to check-out. 30 days seems to be long enough for us to discern between the myth of scarcity and the truth of enough.

This has saved me COUNTLESS times from buying an impulse product. And I got to thinking- if I can practice this “I have enough” type of gratitude with stuff- couldn’t I (couldn’t we) also practice this with something more profound, like the relationships in our lives? Maybe we don’t need more friends, just need to spend more attention and gratitude on the friends we do have?

What if what King Solomon receives from God at the end of this story isn’t more riches in the literal sense, but simply a greater awareness of the riches he already has?

I have a deep friendship with 2 women I’ve known since kindergarten. And this is another confession from me- I didn’t always appreciate the rich blessing of their friendship. When I went off to college, I thought the grass would be greener- that’s where I’ll make lifelong friendships, I was just sure. And I did, to a degree, but thank goodness that Nealy and Katie stuck with me through those college years of self-discovery, because this is what I found to be true after college: my kindergarten friends knew me best and loved me most. I already had enough friends, I just didn’t have the discernment yet to truly cherish them.

True wisdom IS discovered through gratitude. And gratitude must be practiced. So here’s the question for each of us today…What gift is already a part of your life, that you might need to acknowledge and appreciate? Where in life is God asking you to be grateful for “enough?” This is the wisdom that leads to life abundant- not stuff, but gratitude. You have enough- and you are enough. It really is a life-giving practice to be satisfied with “enough.” Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment