Thursday, June 6, 2013

Rummage Sales, Auctions, and Creativity

I have 11 days before a full-time job. 11 days to be organized and creative with my time.

And in these 11 days I will be doing a bit of traveling, and preaching, sort of like an itinerant pastor. Just kidding (bad seminary joke).

If you know me, you understand my style depends on whim, circumstance, availability of materials, and a little bit of crazy creativity. But mostly whim. I enjoy beauty, but I'm not going to pay very much for it. I enjoy creating things, particularly if the materials came from, oh, I don't know, RUMMAGE SALES AND AUCTIONS. Yep. That's this post. I will be bragging about the awesome deals (which, according to AJ, is a subjective concept) I made at rummage sales and an auction.

I went to my first estate auction last Saturday, and let me tell you....I'm SOLD! I loved every minute of it. My heart racing as I bid on my first plant stands. Speculating about the worth of every item. Selecting a number I'd reach and bid no higher. Bidding up items that only one person wanted. Being the woman the auctioneer looked at to take baby items for $1.00 (nope, still not pregnant). :)  The entire experience was SO much fun.

Without further ado...here are a few of the items I (ahem, we) bought!


Six REALLY sturdy chairs I will be refinishing to match AJ's table!

Delightful lamps that no one else wanted. SOLD!

What I THOUGHT I was getting (to make pillows) off the Christmas trailer

What I ACTUALLY got for $7.50- score!!!
Also I didn't take a picture of the 20+ planters I (accidentally) got for $2.50. Turns out sometimes no one will bid higher than you- and you "get to take it home." :)  Those planters are already serving a purpose as homes for the lonely tomato plants that didn't make the garden cut.

Hmmm- oh yes, I have more... A few weekends ago, AJ and I went to a garage sale near our house, and we scored a nice picnic table, wheelbarrow, two saw horses, a cart on wheels for our shop, a shovel, and a cabinet...and the best part? I lumped them all together and said to the couple, "Okay, we are interested in many things, and I know you are interested in getting rid of them, so are you willing to make a deal?" Ha! They sort of chuckled (I guess I don't look the type) and we haggled a bit (only me, AJ felt badly because they were an older couple), and I got the items for $31 off their asking prices! (oh, in case you're starting to feel badly for the couple too, they definitely had a few things overpriced).

And to complete this post on style, I thought I'd share a few more photos of my house decor taking shape (utilizing my practicality and whim)...

A few fun additions to the kitchen- I love homemade pottery and flowers

I can't seem to decide on one centerpiece, so I keep adding to the collection! 
I thought, if I keep these books front and center, I might actually use them. It's a whim, yes.
Displaying bouquets from my wedding-six in one room MAY be a little overkill.


I like it. Period.


My newest creation, sewn from a piece of $1 fabric from a rummage sale. 


Thanks is due to my mother, who taught me how to sew, entered me in a contest in 9th grade in which I won a sewing machine, and led the 4-H club that allowed me to hone my skills. :)
My next few projects include- sewing pillows with the (unending) fabric from this $1 piece of purple. Refinishing the dining table chairs, spray painting the cabinet for our bathroom, and organizing our paperwork... Don't worry, I won't take photos of the paperwork. I'm not THAT enthused about organizing.

All for now- on to take fingerprints for my MSW license- the final step!




No comments:

Post a Comment