Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Schedule of a Baby

Or, schedule of a baby’s momma… which are two in the same, as I am quickly discovering.

Let’s talk about a daily schedule- for an infant. For reasons I may never quite understand, Briggs wakes up for the morning, and within an HOUR he needs his first nap of the day. Ha, and I’m talking after anywhere between 8 and 12 hours of sleep in one stretch at night. This momma who loves her sleep was blessed with a baby who also loves his sleep (I have not yet taken this for granted, and I praise our Creator each time I wake up to find a still-sleeping baby).

So why then, after 12 hours of sleep last night (yes, he is only three month old), is he sleeping again at 9am while I write this blog post? I don’t know, but some questions may be better left unanswered (especially after I had my best night yet— 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Accept it, Emily. Don’t question the logic). I honestly never thought this day would come, and I’m tearing up a little just writing it. Yes, I love sleep with the best of them!

Briggs will awaken from his first nap after 45 min to 1 hour (after all, how much more could he POSSIBLY need at this point in the day). He will play with me for a little while until I feed him, change his diaper, and set him down to re-discover the many animal friends attached to his playmat. Soon enough, however, he will get a bit cranky, sounding the alarm that it is time for another nap. And this process repeats about 4 times throughout the day. I vary the “play time” with a walk, reading a book, singing, or sitting outside with the trees and the breeze and the birds. I have learned that Briggs also LOVES to watch the ripples of the lake. He gasps a little each time the breeze touches his skin, which is an unexpected delight of mine.

And then it’s time for bed. Again. The days go surprisingly quickly when your baby sleeps for 12 hours. Although it’s not always a full 12 hours, he has been sleeping at least 8 hours since he was two months old, a truth I was reluctant to proclaim in fear that I might jinx his healthy habits. Yet it’s true, like mother like son. We like sleep around here, and although I don’t have a magical routine or recipe for success, I am just thankful that whatever we’ve been doing is working. Trust me, I read a TON of “how to get your baby to sleep” blogs, and this is not one of them. I tried a bunch of things at first, and the best advice I’ve followed is to put your baby down before he/she seems tired. Basically defy logic, and your baby may sleep better.



As I think about being a mom, it’s moments like this that I am SO grateful for this little bundle. Briggs challenges me, brings me delight, gives me focus, and most of all, keeps me honest about routine. Although I may want to play with him longer, or take him on a shopping trip, that baby routine kicks in and reminds me that Briggs’ schedule is a priority (for as long as I want those 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep, that is). I’ll take it, Briggs, your schedule can be my schedule any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment