Thursday, May 30, 2013

Dandelions, among other things.

I think maybe my niece was right.

Dandelions are pretty. True, their leaves are a little spiky, and the stems grow too tall for the blossom, and when they die they look really sad. But dandelions are more colorful than grass- and somehow we've classified them as weeds.

So my question is- who gets to decide what is a weed and what is a flower? It reminds me of a parable told by Jesus about the weeds and the wheat. The person in charge says that both must grow together, lest the wheat be pulled up while uprooting the weeds.

Maybe I need to take a more biblical approach to lawn maintenance.

Or maybe I'm over-thinking dandelions.

I might need a job.

As I was going for a run today, contemplating my direction in life, it occurred to me that I live by a lake and haven't even mentioned its beauty in my blog. The lake is beautiful any time of day. Here are my favorite moments by the lake two weeks into my life here....

Taking our first boat ride as a couple, trying to convince ourselves this is real life.

An evening around my neighbors' fire pit, watching the moon glisten in the tiny wake at the center of the lake.

On a windy day, a comment AJ made about the lake reminding him of the ocean, which reminded me of NJ.

Running alongside the lake, appreciating the ever-present nature of the water.

Waking up in the mornings and sharing a cup of coffee with my husband while looking at the gentle majesty of water lapping against the shore.

These are the moments I must treasure. These are moments of assurance that despite all my intellectual ambivalence about transitions, I am in the right place. And from this place, I will go to many other right places along the way.
                                                           Weed or flower?

These moments I treasure




No comments:

Post a Comment