Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 6: let's talk about cravings


My current life situation: sweets and a sweet baby

You know I’m feeling better when I want to talk about food. First, a one sentence synopsis of motherhood: It becomes more enjoyable every day!

So now, food. Today I went to the grocery store. Normally I would talk about how quickly I sped through the aisles because my mother-in-law was watching Briggs for me and I needed to get home to feed him.

This is true, but today I want to focus on adult food. My diet, specifically. I went into the store with the sole intention of picking up eggs, milk, bananas, and any fruit or veggies that happened to be on sale. Great idea, but executed with difficulty by a breastfeeding mother. I did pick up all those things, but I also went straight to the bakery to pick out the biggest apple fritter I could find. Oh and the chocolate milk was on sale! And well of course the Easter candy was 50% off. What a steal! Normally this would not be an issue, since I tend to eat sweets in moderation. However, this breastfeeding momma will consume every ounce of sugar in sight!

Cravings, ugh.

Often in pregnancy people would ask if I craved something specific, and I would proudly respond, “Not really, just soup and fruit juice, but I already liked those things.” That is exactly what I said every time, happy the craving bug hadn’t bit me. How wonderful.

And then I started breastfeeding. No one told me how many cravings I would have post-pregnancy. To be fair, my sister did inform me that she couldn’t get enough to eat the first few weeks of breastfeeding, so I expected an increased appetite- you know, for all those healthy foods I’d been eating in pregnancy.

Wrong.

So I've stocked up on fruit- the healthy sugar, right? I have strawberries, grapefruit, bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, and pears. What do I eat when I have a sugar craving? Ice cream. Or hot chocolate. Or chocolate milk when I want to feel healthy. Or straight-up chocolate chips when I just don’t care. And oh the quantity! Easter did not help; I cleared my mother’s M&M dish while everyone was chatting. I stopped just shy of asking for seconds on her lemon and raspberry cake (but asked for some to go). I stopped eating the candy whoppers when my teeth started to ache.

I currently do not have a resolution to this cravings issue. Some might say, “live it up, girl!” While others will say, “you’re not getting enough protein.” Still others might offer healthy alternatives, such as fruit. Yep. I know. I would live it up if I wanted to buy a new wardrobe. I would add protein to my diet, but I am married to a rancher who ensures my meat intake is plenty high. I would eat healthy alternatives if bananas tasted like chocolate.

My one consolation is this: I’m admitting my cravings for all to read, which means I care. Oh, and the weather is getting better, so I might actually be able to put my extra energy intake to use!


Cravings, cravings go away. Come back only every-other day. 

Easter 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment