Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Poetry for Today

Finding meaning in the mess

A single glance at the room
Reveals a tepid mess:
Love unencumbered by order

Stray scissors tell a story
Of creating a compass without a point:
Call it a directional, perhaps
(that language is directly from Briggs)

A hair clip and candy wrapper,
An empty bottle of water:
Life flowing from every corner

This room is no mess,
Save for the way all love is
Given and received in plenty,

Strewn about with joy
Finding its place in a rhythm
So perfectly disordered

It at once feels right
And clean and good
Like I imagined it could

To bring life into this world
Is to enter the tepid mess
And wait for the days that shine

Thirty-Three

Thirty-three is not old enough
to know the depths of life, I often hear
As my scars stare back in the mirror
True I do not know it all, Do you?

I know the pain of child new
The searing memory of cancer removed,
Veins collapsed and nerves disturbed,
The hurt of a single word.

I know the way my heart breaks
With news of loved one dying
I know the tearing of my soul
With child inconsolably crying.

What if we exposed these scars,
The ones we each bear
For the threads of healing they may contain?
These are mine, what might you share?

I do not know all of life’s pain,
And thank God for that too.
What I do know need not be felt in vain.
Yours neither, as we journey on our way

The story of our scars meets the hands and feet
Of one who bears all pain, suffering and defeat
(he too was thirty-three)
Only to rise again so we might too
In the eternal story of life made new.

Newsfeed

I’m filled with tears today
The weight of change
Contrasted by the way
new efforts of care await
those of us who want to create
good alongside God

In my newsfeed today
I cried at the way
people clap from their balcony
Honoring neighbors who keep
Communities safe for those in need.

In my newsfeed today
I laughed at the sheer
Magnitude of joy in mere
Household moments that capture
The chaos and good cheer.

In my newsfeed today
I pause and give thanks
For the way you make
Life better for me, for we
Are in it together, may it always be.

My newsfeed today is God smiling
What a sweet sight indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment