Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Virtual Worship: The Story, Isaiah 43: 16-21


Isaiah 43:16-21 This is what the Lord says—he who made a way through the sea, a path through the mighty waters, who drew out the chariots and horses, the army and reinforcements together, and they lay there, never to rise again, extinguished, snuffed out like a wick: “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise!

The world around Isaiah and the Israelites also felt like it was shaking. Upended. Uncertain. And the word God spoke through Isaiah is this: Don’t dwell on what could have been, see I am doing a new thing! I provide for my people, always, do you perceive it? I know it can be tough to perceive the good in new things- so that’s why we’re gathering for the sake of worship this morning- to remind ourselves and each other of what’s guided us thus and will continue long after this pandemic is complete: our story of faith.

No matter what pages of our human story we read, God has always been present in the most uncertain of times. God is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and end. Jesus is the author of our faith, and no matter what you’re feeling in this moment, our collective faith is big enough to handle it. And our shared faith is derived from stories. That’s what the bible is: a collection of stories that are authentic, meaningful, and formative. Stories become who we are, and as Christians, each of our unique narratives intersect with The Story: the one about God’s unending love for the whole world. Your story matters- and in just a bit I’ll invite you to share from it. But first let me celebrate the stories from scripture that have transformed you and shaped who you are and how you see God at work:

God remains faithful in Abraham’s life, even as he and Sarah faced seemingly insurmountable odds. (Thanks Val Kelly!)

God remains present in Jonah’s life- using a great big fish to get his attention and focus on what really matters- helping others! (Cindy)

God remains steadfast through dark valleys and green pastures, like the author of Psalm 23 assures us (Thanks, Dee)

God remains peaceful, as Jesus proclaims in John: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (Thanks, Bernie)

God remains reassuring of our future,
·        And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. -Romans 8:28
·      For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11
·      Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” -Joshua 1: 9
·      ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” -Revelation 21:4 (Arlene)

God remains in touch with our human experience, as Larry Lyngstad recalls from his great feat of memorizing this verse from John 11:35 in his confirmation class: “Jesus Wept.”
God remains hopeful through the words of Paul: Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Vicki & Enid)
Lastly, God remains with us, through it all: “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” (Lori)
God remains, of that I’m certain- no matter how uncertain we are about our future. God’s love will find us- because it does, every time. THESE are the stories of our faith that we need now more than ever. Scripture is our foundation, and our own life stories are how we make sense of it. My story- your story, our stories matter, because they’re the foremost way we see God at work in this world.

And here’s why not having in-person worship is so hard: we need each other to listen and interpret these stories for us. The truth is much like Brandy Carlile sings in The Story: So many stories of where I’ve been, and how I got to where I am, but these stories don’t mean anything when you’ve got no one to tell them to. When I first heard her sing this song, my first thought was “this is a church song! This is about building a loving community!”

So as we listen to this song The Story for a meditative moment, this is where you get involved: I’d like you to comment about that thing I asked you to wear. What is it? What word or phrase best captures what it says about you and your story? It doesn’t have to be super deep, but it’s great if you say something we might not know about you! And if you didn’t wear anything, no big deal- share a sentence or two of your story with us today. And be sure to read all the comments if you’re able as we build onto THE STORY of God’s love for this beautiful and broken world (virtual connection)

“It's true, I was made for you” In our most vulnerable times, our stories become more powerful. You know that feeling when somebody tells you a deep part of their story? That connection made, that’s church at its best. That’s our faith lived out in real time. Sharing the stories of who we are, all the lines on our faces, all we’ve been through. Thank you for sharing a piece of your story today. Next week I’ll share a bit more of mine with you.

I have a challenge for you this week- in whatever safe form of communication you can manage, Would you commit to sharing your story this week with someone who doesn’t yet know that deep part of you yet? It doesn’t even have to be your whole story, just a piece of it. Let your walls fall, trust that in the sharing of who we are, we become closer to the one who created THE Story, God whose love is big enough for the whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment